Sharpaction Logo 

Our intent is to educate in all aspects of handicapping, money management and most importantly insure our discussions are conducted in a civil manner. makers@sharpactionsports.com

StatFox Platinum
NFL |  CFB |  NBA |CBB  | MLB |  NHL |  AFL |  CFL |  WNBA |  NASCAR

Scoreboard

Go Back   SHARP ACTION SPORTS FORUM - Sports Betting - Sports Picks > SHARP ACTION SPORTS FORUM
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

SHARP ACTION SPORTS FORUM Welcome to Sharp Action Sports

Old 05-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Rich Rodriguez's agent, Mike Brown, is a moron...

[URL="http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=24923"]http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=24923[/URL]

His deposition was 11 hours long I believe....some funny stuff in reading this. Yes, I am that bored.The Gooba
Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Rich Rodriguez's agent, Mike Brown, is a moron...

I'm on page 157, about a quarter of the way done I think...lol.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 PM

Get a life Kid!!! LOL
Old 05-30-2008, 09:59 PM

I'm on page 267...it's like a book I can't put down...great reading...lol
Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 PM

I don't think Rich could have found a bigger dummy for an agent...
Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 AM

Damn, page 382...it appears Mike Brown was a tout (claims he just did voice overs) under the name "Waterboy"....you can't make this stuff up!
$999 for the season in 2001...not bad....
Old 05-31-2008, 12:38 AM

I'm talking to myself and drinkin buds while reading a 584 page deposition of the agent of the former coach of the mountaineers....someone call the white coats!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:55 AM

[quote=thekid]Damn, page 382...it appears Mike Brown was a tout (claims he just did voice overs) under the name "Waterboy"....you can't make this stuff up!
$999 for the season in 2001...not bad....[/quote]

I know you guys don't care but I'm getting drunk and this is getting good....this dumbass was operating(allegedly) his "service" out of a company called Touchstone that he worked at, which happened to be under the department of defense....investigated for diverting federal funds among other crazy shite!!!***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers ***Makers
Old 05-31-2008, 07:17 AM

[B]Rodriguez's Agent Linked to Gambling[/B]

05/30/2008
MetroNews
Morgantown

Mike Brown, the agent for former WVU football coach Rich Rodriguez, admitted in his deposition that he promoted a college and professional sports betting service in 2001. That was before Brown began representing Rodriguez.

Brown’s lengthy deposition was released by WVU attorneys today.

Brown admits under questioning by attorney Bob Fitzsimmons that he helped prepare and read sports betting scripts that aired on a Cleveland radio station. But, Brown maintains he was only doing a friend a favor.

“I never ran a sports betting operation,” Brown said in the deposition. “I just did voice-overs.”

The gambling allegation centers on a script obtained by WVU attorneys that Brown admits he read on the air promoting a gambling service. In the script, Brown is identified by the nickname “waterboy.”

The script reads, in part, “Hello you have reached the chicken shack, home of the finest phillies (sic) and football handicapping picks in the south, waterboy proprietor. So far this year the waterboy is 6-3 on college games and 3-0 on the pros.”

But Brown maintains he wasn’t actually making the predictions. “I did not make the picks,” Brown testified. “All I did was just do the voice-overs.”

Brown does admit, however, that his involvement with sports betting occurred while he worked at a company called Prestige. That company represented NFL players and recruited college players.

Brown’s gambling connection occurred before he began to represent Rodriguez, and Brown says he never told Rodriguez about it.

Brown also admitted in the deposition that recruited several female friends to read scripts promoting a sports bettering service.

Brown e-mailed one script to a friend named Jennifer Krompass. The script says, “This is Jennifer with the waterboy’s free pick and office numbers. To get the free pick call (number).”

WVU is suing Rodriguez to try to make him pay $4 million in liquidated damages outlined in a contract he signed with WVU last year. Rodriguez claims he was defrauded into signing the agreement.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:17 AM

Agent's deposition tells of shopping Rodriguez around

The Charleston Gazette
By Dave Hickman
Staff writer

MORGANTOWN - Rich Rodriguez's agent shopped the former West Virginia football coach to at least two schools last fall and several others prior to that, often while the ink had not yet dried on recently signed contracts with WVU.

Those admissions - along with the disclosure that he was at least peripherally involved in a sports gambling business prior to his relationship with Rodriguez, as well as a nasty swipe at WVU in regard to the Heather Bresch scandal - are included in a 550-page transcript of a deposition of Mike Brown, Rodriguez's agent.

The transcript of the May 5 deposition was released Friday by attorneys representing West Virginia in its effort to recover a $4 million buyout from Rodriguez after the coach left WVU for the head coaching job at Michigan in December.

Brown, who said he has represented Rodriguez since 2005 and has no other head coaches as clients, admitted in questioning by WVU attorney Bob Fitzsimmons that he actively investigated jobs at both Arkansas and Michigan on behalf of Rodriguez in the days following the end of WVU's 2007 football season. Brown first made contact with Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long as soon as four days after WVU's 13-9 loss to Pitt, then with Michigan's Bill Martin the following week.

"I called and asked them how their coaching search was going,'' Brown said of his discussions with Arkansas. "I told them I represented Rich and I just wanted to see how the coaching search was going.''

Brown said he made the calls because Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, felt their relationship with WVU "was headed down the wrong road.'' He justified talking to other schools just three months after Rodriguez had signed a new seven-year contract because he felt West Virginia was in default of that August 2007 deal because of the failure of the school to live up to verbal promises made.

At the heart of that issue is a provision in Rodriguez's contract that stipulates that if either side felt the contract was not being honored it was required to file written notice. That was never done.

When pressed by Fitzsimmons about when he considered WVU in default of the contract, Brown said it was Dec. 15 or 16 after Rodriguez had allegedly been told by school officials that they had no intention of living up to alleged promises made by WVU president Mike Garrison and others regarding items Rodriguez wanted for the program. But Fitzsimmons pointed out that Brown had made contact with other schools as much as 10 days prior to that.

Brown also admitted that in November of 2006, just months after Rodriguez had signed another revised contract, he called coaching headhunter Chuck Neinas regarding the vacant North Carolina job. Brown also had conversations with LSU in December of 2005 and negotiated a term sheet with Alabama in December of 2006.

Asked why, one of Brown's responses was that many of those programs were "premier jobs.'' He would say only that West Virginia was "a good job.''

In that vein was where Brown took his swipe in regard to the Bresch scandal. Garrison is under fire because the university retroactively awarded a master's degree to Bresch last October despite no evidence she earned one.

In response to why he contacted Michigan, Brown said, "I did what any other agent would do representing his client when you have such a great job as Michigan is open, with its tradition; the fact that they have a great president and athletic director; and they give - people earn their degrees there instead of giving them out for free.''

Fitzsimmons shot back, "What did that mean? Who's talk - are you here just to try to blast West Virginia? I take it you don't like West Virginia, right?''

"No,'' Brown said, "I'm just saying what's facts in the newspaper.''

In an often contentious back-and-forth with Fitzsimmons, Brown also answered questions about his role in a sports betting enterprise around 2000 and 2001. Brown would read in radio ads pro and college football picks as someone called "Waterboy,'' the idea being to get bettors to pay $99 for next week's picks. Brown insists he was merely doing the voice-overs for a friend and had no involvement in betting.

Much of the deposition centered on questions about Brown's qualifications as an agent, his background and about the team of consultants surrounding Rodriguez when he negotiated and signed his last contract with West Virginia in August of 2007. Brown appears to indicate that Rodriguez had limited legal advice and that when the time came to sign the deal Brown was against it.

"I told him not to sign the contract,'' Brown testified.

Brown, like Rodriguez, contends the coach was pressured into signing his contract by Garrison because of pressure from others, including Gov. Joe Manchin and the Board of Governors. Brown produced a copy of an e-mail from Garrison to Rodriguez's financial advisor, Mike Wilcox, in which Garrison said that the WVU Board of Governors had moved its scheduled early September meeting to late August and hoped to have a contract signed by then.

"So the way I look at it, and now that I've seen this e-mail, Mr. Garrison was under a lot of pressure to promise and say whatever he had to to Rich Rodriguez to get him to sign the contract that day,'' Brown said.

To contact staff writer Dave Hickman, use e-mail or call 348-1734.

MORGANTOWN - Rich Rodriguez's agent shopped the former West Virginia football coach to at least two schools last fall and several others prior to that, often while the ink had not yet dried on recently signed contracts with WVU.

Those admissions - along with the disclosure that he was at least peripherally involved in a sports gambling business prior to his relationship with Rodriguez, as well as a nasty swipe at WVU in regard to the Heather Bresch scandal - are included in a 550-page transcript of a deposition of Mike Brown, Rodriguez's agent.

The transcript of the May 5 deposition was released Friday by attorneys representing West Virginia in its effort to recover a $4 million buyout from Rodriguez after the coach left WVU for the head coaching job at Michigan in December.

Brown, who said he has represented Rodriguez since 2005 and has no other head coaches as clients, admitted in questioning by WVU attorney Bob Fitzsimmons that he actively investigated jobs at both Arkansas and Michigan on behalf of Rodriguez in the days following the end of WVU's 2007 football season. Brown first made contact with Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long as soon as four days after WVU's 13-9 loss to Pitt, then with Michigan's Bill Martin the following week.

"I called and asked them how their coaching search was going,'' Brown said of his discussions with Arkansas. "I told them I represented Rich and I just wanted to see how the coaching search was going.''

Brown said he made the calls because Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, felt their relationship with WVU "was headed down the wrong road.'' He justified talking to other schools just three months after Rodriguez had signed a new seven-year contract because he felt West Virginia was in default of that August 2007 deal because of the failure of the school to live up to verbal promises made.

At the heart of that issue is a provision in Rodriguez's contract that stipulates that if either side felt the contract was not being honored it was required to file written notice. That was never done.

When pressed by Fitzsimmons about when he considered WVU in default of the contract, Brown said it was Dec. 15 or 16 after Rodriguez had allegedly been told by school officials that they had no intention of living up to alleged promises made by WVU president Mike Garrison and others regarding items Rodriguez wanted for the program. But Fitzsimmons pointed out that Brown had made contact with other schools as much as 10 days prior to that.

Brown also admitted that in November of 2006, just months after Rodriguez had signed another revised contract, he called coaching headhunter Chuck Neinas regarding the vacant North Carolina job. Brown also had conversations with LSU in December of 2005 and negotiated a term sheet with Alabama in December of 2006.

Asked why, one of Brown's responses was that many of those programs were "premier jobs.'' He would say only that West Virginia was "a good job.''

In that vein was where Brown took his swipe in regard to the Bresch scandal. Garrison is under fire because the university retroactively awarded a master's degree to Bresch last October despite no evidence she earned one.

In response to why he contacted Michigan, Brown said, "I did what any other agent would do representing his client when you have such a great job as Michigan is open, with its tradition; the fact that they have a great president and athletic director; and they give - people earn their degrees there instead of giving them out for free.''

Fitzsimmons shot back, "What did that mean? Who's talk - are you here just to try to blast West Virginia? I take it you don't like West Virginia, right?''

"No,'' Brown said, "I'm just saying what's facts in the newspaper.''

In an often contentious back-and-forth with Fitzsimmons, Brown also answered questions about his role in a sports betting enterprise around 2000 and 2001. Brown would read in radio ads pro and college football picks as someone called "Waterboy,'' the idea being to get bettors to pay $99 for next week's picks. Brown insists he was merely doing the voice-overs for a friend and had no involvement in betting.

Much of the deposition centered on questions about Brown's qualifications as an agent, his background and about the team of consultants surrounding Rodriguez when he negotiated and signed his last contract with West Virginia in August of 2007. Brown appears to indicate that Rodriguez had limited legal advice and that when the time came to sign the deal Brown was against it.

"I told him not to sign the contract,'' Brown testified.

Brown, like Rodriguez, contends the coach was pressured into signing his contract by Garrison because of pressure from others, including Gov. Joe Manchin and the Board of Governors. Brown produced a copy of an e-mail from Garrison to Rodriguez's financial advisor, Mike Wilcox, in which Garrison said that the WVU Board of Governors had moved its scheduled early September meeting to late August and hoped to have a contract signed by then.

"So the way I look at it, and now that I've seen this e-mail, Mr. Garrison was under a lot of pressure to promise and say whatever he had to to Rich Rodriguez to get him to sign the contract that day,'' Brown said.